April 1, 2012

The most filling breakfast ever.

I recently stumbled upon a recipe for a breakfast that turned out to be the most filling meal I've ever had.  I'm serious!  As someone who's pretty much always hungry, this breakfast kept me full for a solid four hours, which is saying a lot considering I could eat every hour if I could.  I didn't even think about food during that time.  Full of fiber, healthy fats, and B vitamins, this has become my new favorite breakfast.  It beats the chemical-laden Balance bar I usually eat during the weekdays, that's for sure.

Adapted from a recipe I found on this great blog I follow regularly, the recipe can be made the night before, which makes eating a healthy, nutrient-full breakfast even more convenient. 

Notice how the chia seeds and oats puff up? 


Here's the recipe:

OVERNIGHT OAT PARFAIT
  • 1/4 C. Oat Bran
  • 1/4 C. Old-Fashioned Oats
  • 1 T. Chia Seeds
  • 1/2 t. Cinnamon
  • 1 t. Salt
  • 1 packet Truvia (plant-based sweetener, Stevia)
  • 1 C. Unsweetened Almond Milk (The original recipe says you can use replace part or all of the milk with water, but I like the creamy texture the milk emparts on the recipe.  Plus, at 40 calories per cup, you can't go wrong with almond milk.)
  1. Combine dry ingredients. 
  2. Add milk to mixture and blend well.
  3. Cover and refrigerate for a couple hours or overnight.
  4. Mix again before eating.
You can also add nuts or fruit to this recipe, which I haven't tried yet, but I'm sure it'd be delicious with either, particularly shredded almonds or fresh strawberries.

No comments: